Altafonte receives positive impact B Corp certification
INTRODUCTION TO COMPANY B
This week we are celebrating: We have finally become a B CORP!
It has been a long and intricate journey involving many people from different Altafonte departments to complete all areas of Impact Assessment B. Our performance has been measured in the areas of Government, Employees, Community, Environment and Customers. Although Altafonte was already very much aligned with the values and DNA of B Corps, we had to make a lot of changes, develop new policies, take a lot of new measures, and prove with documents and audits that what we said was true and that we really deserved to be. B. It has been a great learning experience and also, as they say out there: the party has just started!!!
But where does the B come from? Well, strange as it may seem, the B stands for Profit, but the profit that B Corp is talking about is not only economic but also social and environmental. In addition to seeking profitability, we want to act to transform the global economy and achieve a more inclusive, sustainable and equitable society.
B Corp wants to be not only the best companies in the world, but the best for the world.
Being a company with purpose is a way to build credibility, trust and value. We lead a new way of being and doing business. The desire to change the world, to make it a better place, shared by B Corp teams is contagious because working for this purpose is more motivating than doing business for profit.
We went from being a relevant company to a transcendent company. We are activist companies laying the groundwork for change and using our voice to bring about that change.
Society demands it: 76% of millennials are willing to pay more for socially responsible products, and the same percentage want to work in companies with a purpose.
It is very important that we all understand what it means to be a B CORP and the value it brings to Altafonte.
– B Corps are for-profit companies that use the power of business to make a positive impact.
– B Corp companies meet the highest standards of social and environmental performance, transparency and legal responsibility with all their stakeholders.
– B Corps uses the power of business to solve today’s most pressing social and environmental challenges.
– Unlike conventional companies, B Corps are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on all their stakeholders: customers, employees, communities, the environment and shareholders.
– Nearly 6,000 B Corps in more than 85 countries and 150 industries are leading by example and inspiring tens of thousands of other companies to measure their impact on people and the planet, change their corporate structure, and promote a better way of being a company. business.
Using the power of business to positively impact people and the planet, the B Corp community works to reduce inequality and poverty, care for the environment, strengthen communities, and create high-quality jobs with dignity and purpose.
The values and aspirations of the B Corp community are embodied in its Declaration of Interdependence.
THE B CORPORATION DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE
We envision a global economy that uses business as a force for good.
This economy is made up of a new type of business, B Corps, which are driven by purpose and create value for all stakeholders, not just shareholders.
As B Corps and leaders in this new economy, we maintain:
– That we must be the change we want to see in the world;
– That all companies should be guided by the importance of people and the planet;
– That through their products, practices and economic benefits, companies should aspire not only to do no harm, but above all to generate social and environmental benefits;
– To do this, we must act with the understanding that we depend on each other and are therefore responsible for ourselves, each other and future generations.
This has been an initial introduction to what it means to become a company with a purpose, that wants to generate a positive impact and is aware that, through its actions, it can be part of the change we want to see in the world.
I would like to especially thank Finance, People & Talent, Legal and all those from different teams and countries who have collaborated with us and helped us achieve this. A special thanks to Ignacio Marín, who is no longer in the team, but dedicated many hours of his life to this certification, and also to our advisor Valeria Schiavello, whose contribution has been definitive.
And finally, she leaves you with a question: Do you think it is important that Altafonte is a B Company?